If you’re on this site, maybe you’ve used one of these newfangled computer controlled machines: a waterjet, laser cutter, vertical milling center, or 3D printer. Maybe you haven’t but you’re curious to see what all the fuss is about. Why should you care? Why are they exciting? There are a lot of folks who will tell you that they’ll change the world, see here and here. I’ll tell you that these tools can help you accelerate, extend, and enhance your hobby and craft projects. Even better they allow small businesses to compete with large manufacturers in terms of speed, efficiency, and accuracy.
A few of the many varieties of stars I threw together the night before the holiday party using our laser cutter.
- Create original designs on your computer quickly and with precise control
- Draw much more complex designs
- Cut, print, mill or lathe these designs exactly again and again
- Tweak your prototypes until you have the perfect design
- Download and cut/print designs from the internet