We’ve just released software updates to both our Mac OS X and Windows versions of Otherplan. Otherplan 0.14.7 and Otherplan Public Beta 0.24.3 each contain bug fixes that resolve issues experienced by users of Mac OS X El Capitan, as well as numerous interface improvements and tweaks to improve your milling experience. The Otherplan Public Beta also includes new configuration options for circuit board milling.
Download the updates now, or read on for more details.
Communications Improvements for OS X El Capitan
Today’s Otherplan releases focus on bug fixes and reliability. In particular, we have resolved the connectivity issues that many users of Mac OS X El Capitan have been experiencing. As we wrote a few months ago, Apple introduced changes in El Capitan’s USB support that caused poor connectivity with the Othermill and with many other USB devices. Apple has now improved its USB support, and today’s releases of Otherplan take advantage of these updates. For best results, we recommend that you update to OS X 10.11.3.
Public Beta: New Circuit Board Features
In the Otherplan Public Beta, we've added additional configuration options for circuit boards. With this update, you no longer have to mill an entire circuit board at once. You can now specificy whether you're like to mill traces, holes, or outlines, or any combination of the three. Additionally, you can now specify the depth of the board's traces, as well as any additional clearance you'd like to mill around each trace.
A detailed list of changes and bug fixes is below. As always, if you encounter any issues with Otherplan email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Otherplan 0.14.7 for Mac OS X
- Improved the reliability of Othermill USB communications on Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.3+).
- Updated the File Import dialog box in El Capitan to show Gerber import options by default.
- Updated the sizes and names of default materials to match OMC store products.
- Fixed a bug that caused rendering artifacts in box corners on El Capitan.
- Fixed a positioning bug in G-code exported from Otherplan.
Otherplan Public Beta 0.24.1 for Windows and Mac OS X
- Added support for Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.3+).
- Added the ability to separately mill circuit board holes, traces, and outlines.
- Added configuration options for circuit board trace depth and trace clearance.
- Changed the coordinate display to show the spindle’s position relative to the corner of the spoilboard. (Position relative to other reference points is shown under the G-code State drop-down menu.)
- Fixed a bug where Otherplan would occasionally hang in the middle of tool changes.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some Gerber files from loading on Windows.
- Fixed a bug where clicking the refresh button cleared tool selections.
- Assorted user interface updates.